Building, Zoning & Code Enforcement



Melissa Needles
Building Permit Administration
(610) 436-5108 x107

Mark Lucas, P.E.
Township Engineer
(610) 436-5108 x103

Rich Hicks
Building Codes Official
(610) 436-5108 x104



Construction of the Darlington Ridge project on Tigue and Lenape Roads has begun. You can review key documents associated with the development here:



The ordinances contained in the Township Code strive to promote and improve the quality of life for all residents by protecting the health, safety, welfare of residents and safeguarding natural and cultural resources.



Building permits are required to construct, enlarge, alter, or demolish a structure or change the occupancy of a building or structure that requires greater strength, exit-way, or sanitary provisions.  Permits are also required to change to another use or install or alter any equipment that is regulated by the Statewide Building Code (UCC) adopted by the Township.  View a list of activities that require permits.  Visit the Docs & Forms page for permit application forms.



East Bradford Township offers a free consultation of up to one hour to Township residents who are planning a home improvement project.  The meeting is intended as a pre-application service.  During this meeting the staff can inform residents about the permit review and approval process. The Township does not provide project design nor is this service an exemption from required permits and approvals.  Communications with Township staff and/or Township consultants that occur subsequent to the consultation will be charged to the resident/applicant at the current rates (refer to the Fee Schedule).  Residents/applicants will be asked to execute a cash escrow agreement so that staff/consultant time can be billed against an escrow account.  To get started, contact Nancy Holland at (610) 436-5108 x105 or  to schedule a convenient time to meet with the staff.



If you want to rework the soil on your property (e.g. rent a small Bobcat or similar machine to push the dirt to achieve a fresh look or in preparation for a bigger project), almost all of these projects require an Erosion and Sediment Pollution Control (aka Earth Moving) Permit from the Township.  The only time a permit is not required is if all of the following are true:


  • The project area that will be disturbed (vegetation removed down to the dirt) is less than 5,000 square feet.
  • The alteration to the ground surface is less than 6 inches in depth (which includes excavations for proposed structures or additions).
  • The total volume of dirt being disturbed is less than 100 cubic feet.


Before starting any earth moving projects please contact Township Engineer Mark Lucas at or 610-436-5108 x103 or schedule a free consultation to identify potential permitting issues with Nancy Holland 610-436-5108 x105 or email  The Stormwater Management Page provides more information.



Whether digging to plant a tree, build a fence, or lay a foundation , any contact with underground power lines can injure or kill.  Contact PA One Call by calling 811 or via three business days before digging.  They will coordinate with local utilities to locate and mark gas, electric, and telephone lines.



Solicitation permits are required for anyone soliciting door to door in the Township. If a solicitor comes to your door, request to see the Township Solicitors Permit issued to them with their photo attached. Some non-profit organizations are not required to have a permit but still must register with the Township. If you have a concern about a solicitor, please do not hesitate to contact the West Chester Police Department at (610) 696-2700 or (610) 431-1212. are available on our Docs & Forms page.



Do contractors have to be licensed with the Township?  No.

Are certificates of occupancy required for resale of property?  Certificates of occupancy are not required for residential resale, but they are required for commercial resale and for all new construction.

Does the Township regulate open burning?  All outdoor burning (e.g. open fires, brush, grass, wood) shall be performed only in compliance with Chapter 76 Open Burning.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!